From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fun of being a PDEPEND
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:09:39
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:59:01 +0200
2 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > The ASAP behavior seems relatively optimal, which makes it
6 > > difficult to argue that ebuild maintainers should have to go to the
7 > > trouble of creating virtuals and updating reverse dependencies.
8 >
9 > Yes it is and I agree, but the point here is that PMS doesn't say
10 > anything about it.
11
12 ...because there's no guarantee that it will work, and because if it's
13 enforced rather than an optional extra that may be ignored, then there
14 will be no way of implementing a correct dependency resolver.
15
16 > I would rather want to see it becoming mandatory by PMS, also.
17
18 Not possible. ASAP is a heuristic, not a rule.
21 Ciaran McCreesh