From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fun of being a PDEPEND
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:00:04
1 On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The ASAP behavior seems relatively optimal, which makes it difficult to
4 > argue that ebuild maintainers should have to go to the trouble of
5 > creating virtuals and updating reverse dependencies.
6
7 Yes it is and I agree, but the point here is that PMS doesn't say
8 anything about it.
11 > It seems like your setting up an ongoing conflict with ebuild
12 > maintainers if you don't implement the ASAP behavior. Isn't it worth
13 > your trouble to implement the ASAP behavior, just to get them out of
14 > your hair?
15
16 No it's not, but I would have the matter clarified first, and perhaps
17 eventually fixed by updating PMS documentation.
20 >> OTOH, I think that the gray area should be cleared out by clearly
21 >> stating what is legal or not in an updated EAPI. Isn't that
22 >> reasonable?
23 >
24 > It's already been allowed for years, so a new EAPI would only make sense
25 > if your taking away the ASAP behavior, which seems like a step
26 > backwards. Given the push-back that you're likely to get from ebuild
27 > developers over time, I think you're much better off if you just
28 > implement the ASAP behavior.
29
30 I would rather want to see it becoming mandatory by PMS, also.
31 But beside the ASAP, do you agree that there is still a dependency issue?
32
33 > --
34 > Thanks,
35 > Zac