From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Category - dev-pic OR dev-embedded
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:46:31
1 On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 04:48:18PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Why not help move forward with what's leftover of the #gentoo-embedded
3 > project. I'm what you will learn over the course of this class would
4 > be suited for such a place. There is a few of us already even in the
5 > irc channel few months now. It just needs some leadership.
6 The part of embedded that I'm particualary interested in (and that my
7 class deals with) is single chips, which is vastly different to embedded
8 systems.
9
10 See details on the chip that I'll be programming here:
11 http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/picmicro/category/embctrl/14kbytes/devices/16f874/index.htm
12
13 It's an 8 bit microcontroller with a relatively simple assembler style
14 (35 instructions).
15
16 However I do feel both embedded levels do belong together.
17
18 > As for a new category I'm sorta opposed. uClibc, busybox and the such
19 > are placed in existing categories and I'm pretty sure of the 102
20 > existing ones a place could be found for this.
21 The purpose of the dev-pic/dev-embedded is specifically tools that deal
22 with the creation and development of embedded systems. busybox and
23 uclibc are system applications and libraries that run on embedded
24 systems.
25
26 > The more new top level categories we add the slower portage gets..
27 I don't think that claim is correct. Carpaski?
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
32 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
33 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85