From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: splitting virtual/
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:17:48
1 >>>>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:58:32 -0700
4 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 >> You can insist on this SRC_URI + DEFINED_PHASES approach, but I
6 >> doubt that package manager developers will want to rely on these
7 >> kinds of fragile assumptions. You thought that relying on the
8 >> "virtual" category name was ridiculous, but this SRC_URI +
9 >> DEFINED_PHASES approach seems must less practical to me.
10
11 > The difference is, SRC_URI + DEFINED_PHASES is guaranteed to work.
12
13 Adding explicit information to PROPERTIES still looks much cleaner
14 to me.
15
16 And as previously noted, not every virtual (or meta package) has empty
17 DEFINED_PHASES.
18
19 Ulrich