From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mutt + gpg problems with detached signatures
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:28:41
1 On 24/11/2003 at 17:50:20(+0100), Andrea Barisani used 1.0K to say:
2 >
3 > Hi everybody!
4 >
5 > I've experienced an odd problem when using detached signatures with mutt.
6 > When I receive a message mutt properly invokes gpg and verifies the
7 > signature, however if I save the message and the detached signature in two
8 > files (message.txt and message.asc) issuing `gpg --verify message.asc
9 > message.txt) gives me BAD signature!!
10 >
11 > Do you have any clue about this problem?
12 >
13 > Could be possible that something is changed when saving the message to disk?
14
15 Yes. To make it short, the message that mutt makes the gpg check against
16 is exactly what is contained between the "--boundary" lines. However, when you
17 save an "attachment", mutt formats/decodes the text as necessary according to
18 Context-Type.
19
20 For example:
21
22 - Headers are removed -- Content-{Type,Disposition,etc}:
23 - The text is decoded. So the gpg --verify might be executed against the base64
24 encoded message, but when saving the message itself, you get the pretty text.
25 - Not sure, but I also believe it would convert the text encoding to the
26 current locale.
27
28 To see the differences -- try "| more" when you're looking at the message, and
29 when you're looking at the attachments.
32 /\ Georgi Georgiev /\ BOFH Excuse #252: Our ISP is having /\
33 \/ chutz@×××.net \/ {switching,routing,SMDS,frame relay} \/
34 /\ +81(90)6266-1163 /\ problems /\
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list