From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 05:07:17
1 On 06/08/2016 10:54 AM, james wrote:
2 > On 06/08/2016 11:27 AM, Nathan Zachary wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> GitHub Inc. is successful because they host a central location with
5 >>> "all the code on the Internet"; convenient for consumers and
6 >>> producers alike. Of course it is a fallacy, but it's convenient
7 >>> when it works.
8 >>>
9 >>> Ensure that Gentoo accomplishes the same for Gentoo.
10 >>>
11 >>> Do NOT - I repeat NOT - tie "user repos" to GitHub Inc., please do
12 >>> not even bother working on a prototype there (looking at you James),
13 >>> because if it is good enough it will stick, and as the social
14 >>> contract rightfully states, it's important to remain independent,
15 >>> so that Gentoo and Gentoo only can decide what it will offer.
16 >
17 > OK, put me on the spot (actually good) I'm no fan of github, for a
18 > variety of reason. 'bait and switch' in the mantra of modern business.
19 > I just assumed we are stuck with github.
20 >
21 > As an older hack, I more of the C/unix/files type of mindset, not
22 > diffing everything..... Still the diff centric semantics are useful
23 >
24 >>> This is a wonderful idea which would benefit the community
25 >>> tremendously. I wish I had time to implement all of it immediately.
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>> Kind regards
29 >>>
30 >>> //Peter
31 >>>
32 >> I agree with the idea of NOT using GitHub. Though it is a great
33 >> resource, I second the idea that Gentoo should offer the repository
34 >> space in order to stay separate.
35 >>
36 >> Cheers,
37 >> Nathan Zachary
38 >
39 > I actually strongly agree with gentoo rolling it's own on the
40 > development site/tools. What we are missing is a distributed file
41 > system and the ability to cluster resources on top of a distributed
42 > file system for this central gentoo system. OrangeFS does look promising
43 > for the dfs. Any number of sys-cluster codes are maturing so that
44 > a system can span resources transparently to the user. From what I'm
45 > learning, if you can go from running gentoo on a server or workstation
46 > to buidling up a dfs on a small gentoo cluster, then you are at the
47 > dev-status-level, imho.
50 > Actually (Peter and Zachary) I'm all in on the non-github approach, if
51 > that pathway is defined by gentoo-devs on the team. I do believe in the
52 > cook-book approach before 'gets their wings' with gentoo, being
53 > old-school. Besides it's always nice to look at docuemnts, if you have
54 > not use a particular 'set of tricks' in a while....
55 >
56 > ymmv. So, I can take it either way, but building something
57 > gentoo-centric, without github, is very appealing too.
61 > James
64 There are some of us against GitHub and/or other commercial outfits, so
65 that's not a problem. We offer some mirrors on GitHub, and some devs
66 host things on there, but it's nothing officially endorsed or otherwise
67 required by Gentoo.
68
69 In fact I recently deleted my repos and account over the Code of Conduct
70 fiasco, but that's a whole 'nother topic. :P
73 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
74 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
75 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6