From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] last rites: =dev-lang/perl-5.12* and family
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:55:35
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 01/07/14 07:57 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 >
6 > perl-core/Switch is now stabilized on "amd64 ppc x86", so this
7 > should be fixed.
8 >
9 >> On 30/06/14 04:46 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
10 >>> [snip!] * As Fabian pointed out, perl-core/Switch-2.160.0
11 >>> should still go stable. Fine with me (but I can't read your
12 >>> minds about future stabilizations, and the virtual only had
13 >>> ~arch reverse deps).
14 >>
15 >> There shouldn't be any need to read minds, here -- if the
16 >> previous stable perl had this capability, then the new stable
17 >> perl should too (whether that be via internal or external module
18 >> package). If it doesn't, then the upgraded-new-stable-perl isn't
19 >> a valid replacement for the stable version it previously
20 >> replaced. Remember that there could be who knows what scripts on
21 >> end-user systems that need this functionality, and if it's
22 >> suddenly not available because the only thing that provides it is
23 >> ~arch, then they are not left in a happy state..
24 >
25 > I'm not fully buying this argument, since it would prevent us ever
26 > stabilizing a package where an upstream feature is removed.
29 But it's not removed -- it's just packaged separately, if one takes
30 the entirety of dev-lang/perl + perl-core/* as meaning "perl". If the
31 feature was indeed just plain gone and there wasn't a module providing
32 that functionality, then of course stabilization shouldn't be held up
33 waiting for someone to write or package it, but if it -has- been
34 written and packaged already, I personally think it makes sense that
35 it be added to the stabilization list without the need for a bunch of
36 people specifically requesting it.
37
38 (i realize based on what is stated below, that it wasn't stabilized
39 for any other perl release after 5.12 and i would guess that is likely
40 why it wasn't considered for stabilization for 5.16 along with the
41 rest of the packages in
42 https://458122.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=339264 )
45 > (Switch was first released with perl v5.7.3 and removed from
46 > v5.13.1. So there should have been lots of time to update
47 > dependency declarations or pull in the external package if needed
48 > for non-portage scripts.)
49
50 Perhaps if it makes sense to do so, the virtual/perl-*'s should be
51 adjusted so that they ewarn on pkg_postinst when the older perl
52 version is no longer being installed, to let them know they should
53 update their @world?? I expect this could be a templatized message,
54 even... For this particular case, having the per-core package
55 mentioned in the p.mask helps a lot.
58 >> It would be nice if something like a pkgmove be done on the
59 >> virtual, though, upon its elimintation; anyone that installed the
60 >> virtual to obtain perl Switch shouldn't have to unmerge and
61 >> specifically emerge perl-core/Switch. I'm not sure if pkgmove
62 >> itself supports this, though..
63 >
64 > I dont think this is what pkgmove does (this would move the "no
65 > installed files" vdb entry of the virtual to the perl-core name...
66 > we would need a functionality that only touches the world file
67 > alone...)
70 Probably we would want it to do more than just change @world, for
71 instance the in-vdb dependency list for all other installed packages
72 that contain the virtual should be changed to perl-core/Switch. But
73 yes I agree 'pkgmove' as it stands would probably make a mess of things.
74