From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] last rites: =dev-lang/perl-5.12* and family
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 11:59:11
1 perl-core/Switch is now stabilized on "amd64 ppc x86", so this should be
2 fixed.
3
4 > On 30/06/14 04:46 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 > > [snip!] * As Fabian pointed out, perl-core/Switch-2.160.0 should
6 > > still go stable. Fine with me (but I can't read your minds about
7 > > future stabilizations, and the virtual only had ~arch reverse
8 > > deps).
9 >
10 > There shouldn't be any need to read minds, here -- if the previous
11 > stable perl had this capability, then the new stable perl should too
12 > (whether that be via internal or external module package). If it
13 > doesn't, then the upgraded-new-stable-perl isn't a valid replacement
14 > for the stable version it previously replaced. Remember that there
15 > could be who knows what scripts on end-user systems that need this
16 > functionality, and if it's suddenly not available because the only
17 > thing that provides it is ~arch, then they are not left in a happy state..
18
19 I'm not fully buying this argument, since it would prevent us ever stabilizing
20 a package where an upstream feature is removed.
21
22 (Switch was first released with perl v5.7.3 and removed from v5.13.1. So there
23 should have been lots of time to update dependency declarations or pull in the
24 external package if needed for non-portage scripts.)
25
26 > It would be nice if something like a pkgmove be done on the virtual,
27 > though, upon its elimintation; anyone that installed the virtual to
28 > obtain perl Switch shouldn't have to unmerge and specifically emerge
29 > perl-core/Switch. I'm not sure if pkgmove itself supports this, though..
30
31 I dont think this is what pkgmove does (this would move the "no installed
32 files" vdb entry of the virtual to the perl-core name... we would need a
33 functionality that only touches the world file alone...)
36 Andreas K. Huettel
37 Gentoo Linux developer
38 kde, council