From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 03:51:14
1 You are the minimalist... Not the rest. Provide a reasonable scenario please.
2
3 On July 19, 2018 9:42:11 PM EDT, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
4 >On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
8 >> profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
9 >
10 >> enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
11 >> used on non-desktop linux systems.
12 >>
13 >> This flag provides useful functionality that most linux users will
14 >want.
15 >> I'm a bit surprised that we still don't have it in all linux
16 >profiles,
17 >> but I think we've worked around this in the past by adding IUSE=+udev
19 >> quite a few of those packages (33 packages, 116 ebuilds, by my
20 >count).
21 >>
22 >> This missing flag came to my attention again on bug 661584 where lvm2
23 >
24 >> has IUSE=+udev but cryptsetup has only IUSE=udev, so non-desktop
25 >users
26 >> have a bit of a mismatch between the 2 and get ugly errors on
27 >cryptsetup.
28 >>
29 >> Since this flag only affects linux, I think it makes more sense to
30 >set
31 >> it in linux profiles than to use IUSE defaults.
32 >>
33 >> Any objections to this idea?
34 >
35 >I have server setups with udev disabled for most packages. So udev
36 >enabled by default will create maintenance problems. While I'm
37 >perfectly fine with udev enabled by default on desktops, it should
38 >not be forced on minimalistic setups like servers or containers.
39 >
40 >Best regards,
41 >Andrew Savchenko
44 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.