From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:28:26
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > what's the reason for dhcpcd being in the system profile
4 [...]
5
6 I agree completely. I maintain several Gentoo workstations that use
7 PPPoE, static IPs, or ISC's DHCP server/client. On only a scant handfull
8 of workstations do I use dhcpcd.
9
10 I imagine with the popularity of SOHO ADSL, statically configured LANs
11 et al. dhcpcd is rather useless to a large percentage of our userbase.
12
13 Perhaps it could/should be relegated to the cron / syslog / kernel
14 section of the install guide - eg, another optional component after the
15 system is merged.
16
17 I, for one, have always advocated that the base system be just that -
18 enough to make the system useable upon first boot. Enough to allow root
19 to log in and merge functionality and nothing more.
20
21 Besides, then we can start a running tally; "Three years without an
22 exploit in our base install!" (Apologies to Theo)
25 Stewart Honsberger
26 http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
27 "Capitalists, by nature, organize to protect themselves.
28 -- Geeks, by nature, resist organizaion."
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list