From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 04:58:42
1 On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:19:05PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 > > Richard Freeman<rich0@g.o> writes:
6 > >> I think that is separate from the circular dependency issue. As long
7 > >> as we have an unresolved circular dependency I think cups should be
8 > >> off the list. However, I'd be the first to agree that this is a
9 > >> short-term solution.
10 > >>
11 > >> The problem is that we only have two long-term solutions so far:
12 > >>
13 > >> 1. A smarter package manager that can work through these dependencies
14 > >> automatically.
15 > >>
16 > >> 2. Splitting packages like poppler that have these issues.
17 > >>
18 > > Is there not a third, maybe obvious, solution to circular dependencies
19 > > on initial install?
20 > >
21 > > 3. Include one or both of the packages in the stage tarball.
25 > I'm not a dev but what else uses poppler or other packages that would be
26 > added? Also, this would affect server profiles. Last I checked,
27 > server, desktop or any other profile starts from the same tarball. It's
28 > a idea but would it be a good one? I don't know the answer to that
29 > question.
30 >
31 > Is this a Gentoo thing or is this caused by upstream? I only use Gentoo
32 > so maybe it affects other distros as well.
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
39 Well the merge of the poppler packages seems to have been made in upstream. So it should affect other distros as well. Perhaps not binary distros, though.
40 For now I don't see any other way to solve it other than removing the use flag, and perhaps adding a warning in the handbook about this circular dep.
41 the idea about using a tarball is good enough, the problem with that (as I see it) is what Dale also points out. Desktop and server profiles start from the same tarball, so in order to do this effectively (I seem to remember people coming to an agreement that a server profile wouldn't need cups), there'd have to be a tarball for desktops and one for servers.
42 I quite like the idea of a unified tarball, and going from there, choosing the right profile etc. As opposed to choosing the right tarball, then choosing the right profile that fits with that tarball. To me it seems to complicate matters where there's no need. And also, we would like for portage to continue to grow, and being able to resolve circular dependencies automatically, doesn't seem like a bad goal. :-)
45 Zeerak Waseem