From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request to add ~> atom prefix operator on Portage.
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 06:59:36
1 On 14 September 2015 at 18:52, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > It does, in fact.
3 >
4 >> When it only matches 1.0.2 and 1.0.2.*
5 >
6 >> You're reading it in shell glob notation and not the portage notation,
7 >> that the trailing dot is *implied*,
8 >
9 > No, there isn't any dot implied. It uses simple prefix comparison, as
10 > in shell globbing.
11 >
12 >> which is why explictly stating it is illegal.
13 >
14 > Explicitly stating the dot is illegal, because without the asterisk it
15 > must still be a valid version specification.
18 Ugh. That's really really nasty. I'm going to have to go reprogram my
19 brain with bleach. :(
20
21 I say this because it doesn't strictly make sense in the knowledge
22 that 1.3 and 1.30 both match =1.3*
23
24 So there is, as he describes, no proviso for "X, or some subversion of it".
25
26 Thus, the documentation is very misleading, as although "1.2*" will
27 match "1.2.x" and not "1.1.x" and not "1.3.x", it will also match
28 1.20.x , and that fact is a footgun waiting to go off.
31 Kent
32
33 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL