From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request to add ~> atom prefix operator on Portage.
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 08:01:57
1 >>>>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > On 14 September 2015 at 18:52, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> No, there isn't any dot implied. It uses simple prefix comparison,
5 >> as in shell globbing.
6
7 > Ugh. That's really really nasty. I'm going to have to go reprogram
8 > my brain with bleach. :(
9
10 > I say this because it doesn't strictly make sense in the knowledge
11 > that 1.3 and 1.30 both match =1.3*
12
13 We could fix this in a future EAPI such that version components would
14 not be split when matching. So =1.3* would not match 1.30 any more
15 because the 30 could only be matched as a whole.
16
17 OTOH, I am not aware of any problems caused by the current behaviour.
18 Although I agree that it isn't logical.
19
20 Another interesting example: Which of the following will match the
21 package "cat/foo-1.02.3", and why:
22
23 =cat/foo-1.020.3
24 =cat/foo-1.020.3*
25 =cat/foo-01.02.3*
26
27 (Hint: PMS and Portage don't necessarily agree.)
28
29 Ulrich