From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Apache build
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:07:24
1 Grant Goodyear posted <20040605144320.GC11905@××××××××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:43:20 -0400:
3
4 > Gentoo is a community-driven distribution. We do our best to fix problems
5 > as they arise and to the best of our abilities, but we're quite far from
6 > perfect.
7
8 It should also be pointed out that most if not all developers are
9 volunteers, giving of their time and energy to help Gentoo. Volunteers
10 are human, and like all humans, aren't above occasional personal grudges
11 and other interpersonal relationship issues. If Gentoo was an employer,
12 and users paid customers, the company could demand that its employees
13 treat the customers as what they'd be, the source of the money for the
14 paychecks. However, that isn't the case, and while contrarian developers
15 not only scare away users but other developers, and can be disciplined if
16 necessary, developers ARE humans, AND volunteers, and it ultimately
17 comes down to accepting them AS humans and volunteers and choosing to work
18 out any differences, or there'd not be a Gentoo around to discuss!
19
20 (I'm saying this as a user, thankful that there ARE developers willing to
21 share their skill and time, even if I think individuals may get petty
22 at times, not as a developer, as I'm NOT one.)
26 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
27 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
28 Benjamin Franklin
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list