From: Christian Bartl <cbartl@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Corrections to install guide - Comments, suggestions ;)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:43:39
1 On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 22:06, jsykari@×××××××××××××××.fi wrote:
2 >
3 > Just two quick answers:
4 >
5 > "Jarrett Heale" <Jarrett.Heale@×××××××××××.ca> writes:
6 > > wth is a cron? I take it if you don't know you don't install one? Or should I grab vcron anyway? (as per "If you don't know which one to choose, you might as well grab vcron")
7 >
8 > Please see http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.html for an
9 > introduction to cron. Most distributions like to build their locate databases
10 > (see locate(1) and friends) automatically with cron, in gentoo it's up to you.
11 >
12 > > "Fully qualified domain name". Hmmm. I really don't know!
13 >
14 > An internet-wide host name like kosh.hut.fi.
15 > For a precise definition, see http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/F/FQDN.html
16
17 that sounds very helpful. As far as I know it is not important what you
18 enter here. If you want to access your other PCs you can use the IP or
19 you add them to your /etc/hosts.
20 Your hostname also has nothing to do with the netbios-name and
21 NT-Domain-/Workgroup-Name. Both are entered in /etc/samba/smb.conf (if
22 you use samba)
25 > A.
27 > gentoo-dev mailing list
28 > gentoo-dev@g.o