From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for how to handle stable ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:13:53
1 Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o> said:
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 >> Removing Stable Ebuilds
4 >> If an ebuild meets the time criteria above, and there are no technical
5 >> issues
6 >> preventing stabilization, then the maintainer MAY choose to delete an
7 >> older
8 >> version even if it is the most recent stable version for a particular
9 >> arch.
10 >
11 > Mark, I think you are looking at the problem only with the ebuild
12 > maintainer hat put on. We have other players in our business, being one of
13 > them the users. This policy would bring too many problems to them so ..
14 > nono by my side.
15
16 I purposely did this. I like the proposal, but I also know that it has
17 a lot of problems. It was better than sending something out asking what
18 people think though.
19
20 > I would prefer to analyze the causes of the slacker arch (manpower,
21 > hardware, etc) and if we are not able to solve the problem by any way
22 > (asking for new devs, buying hardware, etc) go for mark it as experimental
23 > and drop all stable keywords.
24
25 This is one way to resolve it. We need to establish how an arch gets
26 pushed to "experimental" and how maintainers need to deal with that
27 though. An example is removing the only version of a package that works
28 on that specific arch, is this a problem if the arch is declared to be
29 experimental?
30
31 If this is the path we want to go down, lets set up some rules for how
32 to handle experimental archs and what it means to go from
33 stable->experimental and experimental->stable.
36 Mark Loeser
37 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
38 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
39 web - http://www.halcy0n.com