From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:28:31
On Thursday 15 December 2011 00:39:44 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote: > > On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote: > >> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@×××××.com> wrote: > >> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of > >> > :> > >> > > >> > "include more info about binpkg in file name" > >> > >> That is great, but its not a 6 month project... > > > > is it though ? i'm inclined to mark INVALID. hijacking filenames for > > metadata is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea. > > I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for > determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It > *does* have the advantage of being really fast, though.
it just doesn't scale though (encoding all metadata into the filename quickly hits filesystem limits on name length), and i think the speed increase is only to a limit. once you get into larger repos, using the already existing "Packages" file would be faster. and since that compresses, it should scale a lot nicer.
> Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository > format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles > built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the > filename is only one way of ensuring that.
sounds like the summary needs updating then by someone who has waded through all the followup comments ;) -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>