From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:23:46
1 On Tuesday 05 August 2003 4:46 am, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
2 > Put me on the list as well, I've spent long enough writing PHP webapps
3 > that I know what is going on, and I'm hoping to spear-head the
4 > webapp-config tool once the debate it all settled.
5
6 Excellent. Anyone else feel like hacking webapps at all? How well covered
7 are we for supporting mod_perl and mod_python based apps right now?
8
9 > Also, so that Max and you know, I have definetly been following your
10 > discussion about the GLEP, eclass and webapp-config,
11
12 Good. You've got a lot of first-hand experience that I think's important to
13 ensuring that what we put in really hits the mark.
14
15 > One clarification however, multiple instances of webapps are NOT
16 > nessicarily across vhosts, in several cases, you may want multiple
17 > instances of a webapp on a single vhost or many other variants of that.
18 > The administrator would be telling us exactly where he wants us placed,
19 > and we can ask for more information as needed if we can't figure it out.
20
21 Good point. We'd need to test each webapp to make sure that it doesn't expect
22 to at a hard-coded place relative to the docroot. Some webapps, for example,
23 are hard coded to expect to be at the url http://<vhost>/, and break badly if
24 they're (say) placed at http://<vhost>/people/stu/.
25
26 > Part of this could possibly also be aided by a later config tool to
27 > create virtual hosts. I already have one that I use for my own setup,
28 > but it would need quite a bit of work for Gentoo purposes.
29
30 Maybe it's off-topic, but you'll probably have an answer that I don't. On my
31 boxes, I always use Apache's dynamic vhost support. Are there times/reasons
32 when dynamic vhost support isn't the way to go?
33
34 Best regards,
35 Stu
36 --
37 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
38 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
39 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
40
41 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
42 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
43 --