From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:56:47
1 On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:46 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > Ok, now that devfs is removed from the 2.6 kernel tree[1], I think it's
3 > time to start to revisit some of the /dev naming rules that we currently
4 > are living with[2].
5 >
6 > To start with, the 061 version of udev offers a big memory savings if
7 > you use the "default" kernel name of a device[3]. If you do that, it does
8 > not create a file in its database in /dev/.udevdb/
9 >
10 > If we can move away from some of our devfs-like names, we stand to
11 > reclaim a lot of memory from everyone's machines. As an example, if we
12 > drop all of the tty/pts/vc/vcc symlinks, and just go with the default
13 > kernel name, we save 2.5Mb of space in tempfs/ramfs. I've done this on
14 > my machines and everything seems to work just fine (it looks like
15 > everything that was trying to use a tty node was just using the symlink
16 > anyway.)
17 >
18 > So, anyone have any objections to me changing the default udev naming
19 > scheme in this manner?
22 Fine with me. I assume we will need to keep the rcscript support for
23 those die-hard 2.4 users still, but hopefully we can eventually drop
24 that as well.
25
26 > Next up, that loony block device naming scheme (more on that later...)
29 Heh. I hope that we will still at least just do the cdsymlinks stuff
30 (just the /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, etc stuff) as that do make things a bit
31 easier for multimedia stuff.
34 > [3] HAL needs a patch to be able to handle this. It's posted on the
35 > hal development mailing lists and will be checked in real-soon-now.
36
37 I just think we need to make sure this is in first ...
40 Lastly on an unrelated note ... I have a rule:
41
42 -----
43 # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/40-dm.rules
44 KERNEL="dm-[0-9]*", PROGRAM="/sbin/devmap_name %M %m", NAME="mapper/%c", SYMLINK="%c"
45 -----
46
47 And in theory it should be the last rule to set the name ... however the
48 default one in 50-udev.rules overrides it, and I have to add
49 OPTIONS="last_rule"
50
51 --- (default rule) ---
52 KERNEL="dm-[0-9]*", NAME=""
54
55 I am assuming (without having looked at the code) that because NAME is
56 set to "", whatever code that should drop it as it have NAME, does not
57 kick in?
60 Thanks,
63 Martin Schlemmer
64 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
65 Cape Town, South Africa