From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Support Everywhere
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:18:51
1 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > This is a request for comments on a new project,
5 > namely "Gentoo Support Everywhere".
6 >
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gse/
8 >
9 > The web page doesn't really explain all the background
10 > needed to understand why would anyone want to start such
11 > a project. However this forum thread might be more
12 > clarifying:
13 >
14 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-762914.html
15 >
16 > The initial aim is to provide some support to these lost souls
17 > that wander around the LQ forums, and to create a Gentoo
18 > subforum at LQ like many other distros do. However, eventually
19 > the support might be extended to other places if there's a
20 > need and enough human power to do so.
21
22 You are of course free to put in work wherever you want to. This is
23 Gentoo. We're all about picking an itch and scratching it. I won't tell
24 you where to put your time or where not to put your time.
25
26 However, for the purposes of an actual project, I believe it's
27 considered essential that we own the infrastructure that project is
28 hosted on. All of our other projects (to my knowledge) are hosted on our
29 own infrastructure.
30
31 If we cannot properly administer a Gentoo resource, i.e. if we have to
32 go through unaffiliated intermediaries, then it should not be an
33 official Gentoo project. I don't believe having a spot in /proj/
34 designates a project as "official"; I think the actual working area
35 needs to be Gentoo-owned.
36
37 That being said, you and others are free to do the whole LQ and other
38 forums help; more power to you. But as I said, I don't think it should
39 be an official TLP (or subproject) as we do not have proper supervision
40 of external resources.