From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Hangouts
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:35:59
1 On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Egg Plant <egg.plant@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > The resourcefull developers/users can meet each other at Gentoo Miniconf and
3 > similar other gatherings in real world. That will make us more human.
4
5 I don't think this is really sufficient. As far as I can tell most
6 people attend such things based on how far they happen to live from
7 such an event, or whether they have an employer who is willing to pay
8 for such attendance. It has little to do with resources, unless
9 you're talking about so much discretionary money that you're literally
10 willing to spend $1-2k on travel. I certainly am not aware of any
11 conference that Gentoo has had a substantial presence at within a few
12 hundred miles of where I live.
13
14 I think anything that helps increase interaction among devs is a good
15 thing. Teams are welcome to organize their meetings in whatever
16 format works best for them. Gentoo developers are not required to use
17 IRC at all. Everybody has their favorite medium - some prefer email,
18 some forums, some IRC, some hangouts/etc, and so on. Some prefer
19 meeting on weekdays vs weekends, morning vs evening, etc. There are
20 going to be people inconvenienced or left out no matter what we do.
21 Sure, some will not be able to participate in Hangouts who could
22 participate in IRC, but the reverse is true as well.
23
24 Rich