From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sunrise contemplations
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:11:31
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:25:20 +0200
2 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > [...]
5 > 1. Stale ebuilds are often stale for a reason, there is obviously not
6 > enough interest to add and maintain them. Not just on the developer
7 > side, but also on the user side. If someone really cared enough
8 > he/she would go trough the process of becoming a dev.
9
10 I think most users would see becoming a dev as a long-term commitment.
11 We certainly want that to be the case - we don't want people becoming a
12 dev just to bump a package that they want in a particular moment just
13 to then disappear.
14
15 The situation for such stale ebuilds is that there may be no active
16 devs who are interested - even if there are many users who are.
17
18 Sunrise does provide a place where users can work with the Sunrise
19 project to get what they want into the overlay, perhaps ultimately
20 into the tree. These users can contribute for the period they want to,
21 then forget about it, leaving it to the Sunrise developers follow it
22 up. Such follow-up could be:
23
24 1) Maintain the ebuild in the sunrise overlay
25 2) Take the package on themselves, and integrate it into the main tree
26 3) Find another dev willing to take the package on (e.g. by asking the
27 herd alias), hand it over for maintenance in the main tree.
28 4) Drop it.
29
30 Sunrise can also help gauge how much user interest there is in a
31 package.
32
33 > [...]
34 > Sunrise just lowers the step to get these often mediocre ebuilds,
35 > people can get them right now, just not as easy.
36
37 I hope the intention is that Sunrise would be improving these mediocre
38 ebuilds to the point where they would be acceptable in the tree, as
39 far as technical quality is concerned.
40
41 > 2. [...] Therefore I do not believe that QA for a tree that is as
42 > extensive as Sunrise done by a few 'official' developers amounts to
43 > much real world quality.
44
45 I would expect that over time, the Sunrise developers will learn more
46 and more how to write quality ebuilds (as hopefully do we all). Since
47 they'll be working with a diverse set of stuff, they could become better
48 than most devs at this. Remember that since they have custody of the
49 stuff in the Sunrise overlay, they will be hit with whatever issues
50 arise from their work.
51
52 > 3. Although I agree Sunrise may lower the step to becoming a dev, I
53 > doubt it will have a serious positive impact on our developer base
54 > and as such there is no reason to support Sunrise officially. I think
55 > the people attracted to Sunrise development are the ones that fall in
56 > the category 'want to be there, but don't really have the
57 > time/skills'.
58
59 That would certainly be true for many. There may also be people who
60 would be happier with the proving ground that Sunrise provides,
61 gaining confidence before attempting to become a dev.
62
63 > Those people will not evolve to real developers; they
64 > either will stick it out in Sunrise for a short while or keep to a
65 > very small subset of it. My prediction is that Sunrise will see a
66 > high turnover of 'developers', either because they are there for one
67 > specific package (probably fresh and included in the main tree when
68 > mature) or find out they lack the time to really invest in learning
69 > the full extent of ebuilding. Also 'junior' devs on Sunrise might not
70 > take that extra step towards devhood because they got the influence
71 > they want, as such we might lose out on devs that never develop
72 > beyond Sunrise contributors.
73
74 I'd be wary of encouraging people who don't want to go further than
75 bunging something into Sunrise becoming devs. If they're not prepared
76 to maintain their stuff in Sunrise, then they don't really want to be a
77 dev (which is largely about maintenance).
78
79 > As a developer I would not really think
80 > of Sunrise developers any different than someone coming 'fresh' to
81 > Gentoo developing.
82
83 What it does give you is a track record you can look through - in much
84 the same way you might have watched what someone did on bugzilla or
85 IRC. Indeed I'd suggest that the history in Sunrise SVN would be
86 useful to indicate whether someone is learning how to write ebuilds
87 properly, or just continues to make the same errors.
88
89 > I would still require them to work on real bugs
90 > for a good while to see their intentions/devotion over time before I
91 > would even consider submitting them for real developership. In that
92 > sense Sunrise would only lengthen the time a wannabe dev has to spend
93 > in the no-mans land between active user and official developer.
94
95 I don't think anyone is suggesting that all future devs prove
96 themselves in Sunrise first, so I don't see that it lengthens the
97 time a wannabe dev has to spend, since they can always take the
98 approach we currently use and avoid Sunrise altogether.
99
100 I expect Sunrise would hope that contributors hang around to do their
101 own maintenance in the Sunrise overlay, in which case they'll get to
102 understand what maintenance means, how much effort is involved and
103 thereby understand better the commitment expected of them should they
104 decide to go for dev-ship.
105
106 > In conclusion these 3 points come together here : being a dev is not
107 > about adding new ebuilds to the tree, it is about maintaining what is
108 > already there. Dealing with bugs and users.
109
110 100% with you there. Anyone can knock up an ebuild - it takes effort
111 to maintain it, and that's the lions share of the work of most devs.
112
113 > That aspect of Sunrise is
114 > not at all tackled in its goals. What are the longterm prospects of
115 > ebuilds in the Sunrise tree ?
116
117 Is this not in their documentation? From the project name, I would
118 expect they hope that stuff either rises fully (i.e. to end up in
119 the tree with proper maintainership) or would wither and die depending
120 on how much effort is put in by those who want the package.
121
122 > That is what QA is about, providing a
123 > stable base to work on. I do not think that devs who mainly add
124 > ebuilds and new packages to the tree are good devs, the real job is
125 > maintenance and bughandling. In that sense Sunrise might be giving
126 > the wrong impression to wannabe devs.
127 >
128 > * The rise of project Sunrise
129 >
130 > Now for the second big point concerning Sunrise : how it came into
131 > being.
132
133 This was certainly handled very badly. However I think that's history
134 now, and there's not much to be gained from going back over it.
135
136 > [...]
137 > Anyway, the project after the initial announcement got a 'temporarily
138 > removed' status from gentoo.org . The problem here in my opinion is
139 > not so much that the people who support the project needed to defend
140 > it, but that people who are more conscious about the project need to
141 > prove it is wrong. This had to happen in a mere 2 months where the
142 > project has had hardly any impact. If you want to properly evaluate
143 > such an extensive project it needs to be given much more time. The
144 > project should prove itself before it should be allowed to 'join'
145 > Gentoo, not the other way around. I have seen no tangible benefits
146 > from Sunrise so far, aside from the fact that developers have left
147 > over it and the developer community is seriously divided these days.
148 > As such Sunrise has been one big mistake, the possible benefits at
149 > this point in time do not outweigh the havoc it has caused.
150
151 Beyond the mailing list wars (I won't call them flamewars because I
152 think most combatants are sincere with their concerns), I don't think
153 there has been any significant detrimental effect - for the same
154 reason; i.e. it's only been around for a couple of months so hasn't had
155 time to produce any of the problems that some people are worried will
156 occur.
157
158 > * The implications of sunrise
159 >
160 > What will Sunrise mean to the general developer ?
161 > [...]
162 > In short, from my experience Sunrise will only result in more work for
163 > the general developer with little benefits. This may not happen often,
164 > but every single time is one time too much. This is can be really
165 > demotivating, which is probably the worst thing about it.
166
167 I think as long as Sunrise steers clear of core system packages,
168 essentially focusing on "leaf" packages, the sorts of problem you
169 encountered with BMG can be avoided. Certainly I would expect Sunrise
170 not to be providing alternate versions of stuff already in the tree,
171 and not to be modifying eclasses that exist in the tree - this sort of
172 change is for managed dev overlays.
175 Kevin F. Quinn