From: Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:14:45
1 Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2
3 >maillog: 30/11/2005-15:16:35(-0500): Andrew Muraco types
6 >>Mark Loeser wrote:
10 >>>Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com> said:
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>>is a minimum. A full out doc with all the FAQ and important notes about
16 >>>>what needs to be recompiled (in my opinion) would be a much more through
17 >>>>upgrade path, ofcourse still include the einfo quick instructions. But I
18 >>>>think the masses of users will not be happy when they realize that
19 >>>>emerge -e world && emerge -e world means that they will be compiling for
20 >>>>the next day (or 2 or 3), so a way to block the upgrade from messing up
21 >>>>people that wish to keep 3.3.x as default would be a good idea.
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>>gcc-3.4.* will not be selected as your system compiler after merging it.
27 >>>The
28 >>>old gcc profile is still valid, therefore it is kept. Users have to
29 >>>consciously go and change their profile to change their gcc, so nothing is
30 >>>going to just magically break.
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>That makes me feel a bit more comfortable. I still think that something
35 >>more then an einfo warning should be provided, as its easy to overlook
36 >>those.
40 >So make gcc-config produce warnings when changing the compiler.
41 >
42 >"Switching to gcc-MAJOR.MINOR may break your system. Upgrade
43 >instructions can be found at http://thedoc"
44 >
45 >Trigger the message only when switching minor versions.
46 >
47 I like that idea alot actually. Perhaps also include in that warning
48 message that switching back is OKAY aslong as nothing has been compiled
49 with the new minor version.
50 :-P I vote for this choice.
51 Greetings,
52 Tux