From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:46:47
1 On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 16:46 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Thursday 05 January 2006 15:59, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > Page title: "Gentoo Linux - Gentoo Linux News"
4 > Yeah ok, let me end up these holidays, and I'll prepare a written request to
5 > change the Linux part in something else (Land if you want to keep the L, or
6 > I'll try to find a name we can use)... we deserve it as Gentoo/FreeBSD is at
7 > a level not so far from Gentoo Linux, and Gentoo for Mac OSX is still going
8 > on.
9 >
10 I ask about the use of the phrase "Gentoo Linux" once upon ago, and I
11 think it was either grant or doug (heck, maybe it was the elusive
12 spider ;) that pointed out that there is "Gentoo Linux" - that's where
13 you install the kernel, baselayout, etc., and that's the part that can
14 never be dropped, and there's "Gentoo the MetaDistribution" which
15 includes the linux, but also includes the various ports. But in the end
16 - we still produce gentoo linux and adapt ourselves to other's os' (or
17 them to us as the case may be) as we can. i feel like i'm starting to
18 ramble, but the point is that first and foremost we are a linux distro
19 (would you put portage on slack? ubuntu? mandriva?) who also wears the
20 hat of a metadistro - the distinction being in the system built with
21 gentoo and the system built from gentoo...
22
23 ~mcummings