From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: stuart@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:22:47
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:08 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Think of it this way. Good change information, like good QA, is something
3 > that is part of the professional behaviour reasonably expected of a software
4 > engineer.
5
6 Someone else alluded to this, and I'd just like to reinforce the point:
7 in terms of assessing the risk of a potential upgrade, some sense of
8 what has changed is necessary.
9
10 Unfortunately, the typical ChangeLog in portage is:
11
12 18 Feb 2004; David Holm <dholm@g.o> db-4.2.52_p1.ebuild:
13 Added to ~ppc.
14
15 and
16
17 *evolution-1.4.6 (22 Mar 2004)
18
19 22 Mar 2004; Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o> evolution-1.4.6.ebuild:
20 version bump
21
22 the trouble is especially evident in the second example. What are the
23 changes between evo 1.4.5 and evo 1.4.6?
24
25 That, of course, is answered by the contents of the upstream ChangeLog,
26 which there usually is one. In this case it is:
27
28 http://developer.ximian.com/projects/evolution/release_notes/1.4.6.html
29
30 Which is actually what I, in an enterprise deployment manager role, need
31 to know about before I can make an upgrade decision. The stuff about
32 arches being marked stable, etc, is, while internally important, not
33 terribly interesting compared to this.
34
35 It would be fantastic if we can find a way to include such information.
36 After all, the developer doing the version bump (or better yet, the user
37 making the bug report) probably at least had a look at the changes list,
38 where ever it is to be found. That information should at least be
39 hyperlinked, and, far better - (especially if we're switching to an XML
40 format) included in Gentoo's ChangeLogs.
41
42 Cheers,
43
44 AfC
47 Andrew Frederick Cowie
48
49 OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
50 Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers
51
52 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/