From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:08:21
1 On Wednesday 21 July 2004 15:47, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > It's not the problem to write something that spits out a plain text
3 > version. What I'm more interested in, is a speedy workflow: echangelog,
4 > "this changed", ready - but being obliged to fill in a xml form!?
5
6 If we're serious about offering a viable 'fixes-only' tree, we need to be able
7 to give better information to our users. As much as I hate to admit it, an
8 XML-based ChangeLog format would be a big step towards that, and if designed
9 right it shouldn't be too much trouble to update. For devs who really hate
10 using XML, we could always turn echangelog into a simple form-filling tool to
11 walk people through filling out a changelog entry.
12
13 Think of it this way. Good change information, like good QA, is something
14 that is part of the professional behaviour reasonably expected of a software
15 engineer.
16
17 We've been using XML-based ChangeLogs where I work for over six months now,
18 and both staff and customers have found them to be more useful than
19 plain-text ChangeLogs.
20
21 Best regards,
22 Stu
23 --
24 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
25 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
26 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
27
28 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
29 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C