From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@××××××××××××××××××××.jp>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to stop using 'cjk' USE flag.
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:14:15
1 On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 17:43, Mamoru KOMACHI wrote:
2 > m17n and i18n does not mean the same thing. m17n software handles
3 > multiple languages and i18n software provides multiple language
4 > interfaces. For example, m17n software could provide only English menu
5 > and help but you can use several languages on it, while i18n software
6 > might offer you Japanese menu and help even though it's not capable to
7 > use multiple languages other than English.
8
9 Thank you for your explaination :) I also google'd up a bit as well.
10 According the the Debian i18n guide, the difference is:
11
12 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/intro-i18n.en.txt
13
14 _I18N_ (internationalization) model
15 This model is to support many languages but only two of them,
16 English (ASCII) and another one, at the same time.
17
18 _M17N_ (multilingualization) model
19 This model is to support many languages at the same time. For
20 example, Mule (MULtilingual Enhancement to GNU Emacs) can handle
21 a text file which contains multiple languages
22
23 In that case, I agree with the m17n flag then, because there is a very
24 distinct difference.
25
26 Cheers,
27 --
28 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
29 >> Gentoo Developer
30 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
31 >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
32 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6