From: Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@××××××××××××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to stop using 'cjk' USE flag.
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:43:18
1 At 04 Jul 2003 11:01:06 +0100,
2 Alastair Tse wrote:
3
4 > 1. What is the difference between m17n (multilingualisation) and i18n
5 > (internationalisation)? Maybe we should use i18n instead of m17n since
6 > it seems more widely used, especially if it means the same thing.
7
8 m17n and i18n does not mean the same thing. m17n software handles
9 multiple languages and i18n software provides multiple language
10 interfaces. For example, m17n software could provide only English menu
11 and help but you can use several languages on it, while i18n software
12 might offer you Japanese menu and help even though it's not capable to
13 use multiple languages other than English.
14
15 > 2. If it is only chinese, japanese and korean, maybe we should just use
16 > zh, ja, kr as the USE flags. We have /usr/portage/use.desc to give it
17 > the right description. Is there a reason to have the "lang_" prefix in
18 > the USE flag?
19
20 I have the same opinion ;-)
21
22 > I agree with Nakano that the cjk/zh/ja/kr use flags should not be
23 > confused with the LANGS discussion about selectively installing
24 > translations (.po/.mo). This concerns mainly with patches and configure
25 > options to specifically support XIM and double-byte characters.
26
27 Absolutely. In my case, I don't use any translations (which are
28 configured by LANG variable) but m17n support.
29
30 > My vote would be to _keep_ the "cjk" flag for instances where a patch or
31 > particular configure option would benefit all double-byte character
32 > users and then add the "zh", "ja" and "kr" USE flags as additional ones
33 > where a particular patch/configure option is specific to only one
34 > locale.
35
36 Agreed.
37