From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: Masatomo Nakano <nakano@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to stop using 'cjk' USE flag.
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:01:46
1 On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 20:36, Masatomo Nakano wrote:
2 > I suggest that we stop using 'cjk' USE flag, which is to support
3 > Chinese/Japanese/Korean, and we add new flags(lang_cn,lang_ja,lang_kr,....,m17n).
4
5 It would probably be lang_zh for chinese, to match the locale definition
6 in glibc. I've got a few questions:
7
8 1. What is the difference between m17n (multilingualisation) and i18n
9 (internationalisation)? Maybe we should use i18n instead of m17n since
10 it seems more widely used, especially if it means the same thing.
11
12 2. If it is only chinese, japanese and korean, maybe we should just use
13 zh, ja, kr as the USE flags. We have /usr/portage/use.desc to give it
14 the right description. Is there a reason to have the "lang_" prefix in
15 the USE flag?
16
17 > There are two reasons for this.
18 >
19 > 1. USE flag related to countries is only 'cjk' at the moment. But we
20 > need other country flag(ex. Russia).
21 >
22 > 2. It is impossible to apply 1USE flag among two or more
23 > countries because most of localization patches are conflict each other.
24
25 I agree that there are other countries that may have their own
26 localisation patches. However, some of the cjk patches do apply to all
27 double-byte character and kanji compatibility within applications. With
28 splitting the cjk USE flag, this means for those patches we'll likely
29 have to test for all 3 zh,ja,kr USE flags.
30
31 With the conflicting patches, it should be up to the maintainer of the
32 package to make sure these patches don't conflict with each other with
33 different USE flag combinations. I don't think introducing more USE
34 flags will solve that problem, in fact it could potentially make it
35 worse.
36
37 With that said, I can see a number of advantages with having separate
38 language flags because there maybe chinese specific or japanese specific
39 patches that need to be installed. Or for instance, a chinese user would
40 not need to install japanese and korean fonts, and vice versa.
41
42 I agree with Nakano that the cjk/zh/ja/kr use flags should not be
43 confused with the LANGS discussion about selectively installing
44 translations (.po/.mo). This concerns mainly with patches and configure
45 options to specifically support XIM and double-byte characters.
46
47 My vote would be to _keep_ the "cjk" flag for instances where a patch or
48 particular configure option would benefit all double-byte character
49 users and then add the "zh", "ja" and "kr" USE flags as additional ones
50 where a particular patch/configure option is specific to only one
51 locale.
52
53 How do people think about that?
54
55 Cheers,
56 --
57 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
58 >> Gentoo Developer
59 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
60 >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
61 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6