From: Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:55:48
1 On 14-03-24 10:25 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:36:19 +0100
3 > Jan Matejka <yac@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Categories are essentially tags, only less powerful as they can
6 >> express relationship of 1:N while tags are can express M:N
7 > No, categories are essentially directories.
8 >
9 > I was asking about tags, not about categories.
10 >
11 > It appears it's very hard to answer the simple questions of why we need
12 > tags and how we would use them. The answers should typically involve
13 > some explanation of how you're going to use the things once you have
14 > them.
17 > jer
18 >
19 A lot of people already replied to this question: package search.
20
21 A trivial example, a user want to know all terminals available in
22 portage. Of course he could try a `emerge --searchdesc terminal`, but
23 then he would get anything mentioning terminal in the description: which
24 would probably include a lot of "terminal applications" which are not
25 terminals themselves...
26
27 `emerge --search terminal` just doesn't cut it as "konsole" wouldn't be
28 a result but is a terminal emulator...
29
30 On the other hand, terminals are spread through many categories
31 (gnome-terminal in gnome-base & konsole in kde-base to name the most
32 obvious example).
33
34 Thus tags are a nice way for user to find the applications they want.
35
36 Damien