From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>, base-system <base-system@g.o>, agk@××××××.com, Federico Tomassetti <f.tomassetti@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:32:37
1 On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-08-01, o godz. 17:17:35
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On 01/08/13 17:04, William Hubbs wrote:
6 >> > There is a hack in our udev and kmod ebuilds that makes it possible to
7 >> > build the static libraries, but I think we should remove that hack since
8 >> > upstream bans building them.
9
10 Thanks for the clarification - that makes sense.
11
12 >> Anyway I volunteered Federico to sort out this mess and he got that part
13 >> more or less done.
16 If you're willing to do the work I think the teams should be willing
17 to allow you to support the necessary changes. That is, assuming that
18 the changes aren't so intrusive that they create a real potential for
19 bugs/etc. You would of course have to keep up.
22 > So esystemd and ekmod now?
23
24 If the changes are really extensive then that might be the better
25 solution unless upstream is interested in accepting the changes.
26
27 That all assumes lu_zero wants to support all these packages. If not
28 then the maintainers can drop support if they wish, and just set
29 deps/blockers accordingly. If portage doesn't handle the resulting
30 resolution issues properly that would seem to be a portage bug - this
31 isn't really a typical configuration in any case. I'd be more
32 concerned if it came up by default if you installed a stage3 and did
33 an emerge gnome.
34
35 Rich