From: Paul de Vrieze <paul@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installation Help
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:05:56
1 On Thursday 11 April 2002 17:44, Todd Cassell wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I was very interested in trying out Gentoo. I have
4 > heard many good things about it. I downloaded the
5 > larger iso and began the install. I followed the
6 > instructions exactly as they are on your web site. I
7 > chose to extract stage 3 as I was not on a high speed
8 > connection. When I get to step 9, code listing 17,
9 > doing the chroot command, I receive an Illegal
10 > Instruction every time I try. This basically stops me
11 > from continuing. Can you tell me possibly why this is
12 > happening and what I can do to fix it?
15 What kind of machine are you running? Stage3 only runs on:
16 Pentium II, Pentium III, Celeron, Athlon
17
18 Other processors don't work with -march=i686 optimizations,
19 so try the stage 1.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze