From: "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New git.eclass
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:52:23
1 On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 06:30:47PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > [snip]
3
4 Hi,
5
6 I think I improved the eclass a bit by making it more efficient both
7 disk and network wise among other things:
8
9 - Branchs are supported so different versions of the ebuild can use
10 different versions of the code without duplicating objects.
11
12 - Once you cloned the first time, following installations only fetch
13 updates for the branch you are going to use.
14
15 - It clones a 'bare' repository, i.e. without a working copy, thus
16 saving disk space.
17
18 - Uses 'git tar-tree' instead of 'rsync' to checkout a particular
19 commitish (EGIT_TREE).
20
21 - It is able to repack and prune the repository to save disk space and
22 improve performance. Ebuilds can override this behavior by setting
23 EGIT_{PRUNE,REPACK} to false.
24
25 I also bash'ified the eclass, I don't know if this is a good thing but
26 makes things easier to read (at least for me). Everything should work
27 perfectly on bash2 systems.
28
29 I'd like people who use Git eclass to test it and see if any of the
30 'features' I introduced break things for them.
31
32 Also, git-sources *should* use this eclass once it is in the tree since
33 people using it will save _lots_ of bandwidth and disk space.
34
35 Latest version is in my public overlay[1].
36
37 - ferdy
38
39 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferdy/overlay/eclass/git.eclass
42 Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartín
43 Gentoo Developer (Alpha,net-mail,mutt,git)
44 20BB BDC3 761A 4781 E6ED ED0B 0A48 5B0C 60BD 28D4