From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: xmw@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:31:15
1 On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:58:53 +0100
3 > Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Concern is to sustain the freedom of choice that brought me to Gentoo.
6 >>
7 >> Please provide systemd as an option.
8 >> And provide sysvinit/openrc as an option.
9 >> Do __not__ make an initrd mandatory.
10 >
11 > And I'd like to have the freedom of having a clean rootfs and system
12 > free of random static executables needed to mount /usr with random
13 > filesystems.
14 >
15 > Static linking is IMHO worse than making _initramfs_ mandatory.
16 > Or maybe do you have method to force rebuilds of packages dependant
17 > on static libraries?
18
19 Do you have a method to force rebuilds of the initramfs?
20
21 The argument you used against static linking was that my statically
22 linked binary has a library with a data corruption bug and thus when I
23 go to rescue my machine I might inadvertently delete everything. How
24 is having the library in my initramfs any different (even dynamically
25 linked?)
26
27 -A
30 > --