From: tom_gall@×××.com
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Brainstorming how to collaboratively work on kernels
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:12:22
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On Saturday, January 24, 2004, at 09:15 PM, Jon Portnoy wrote:
6
7 > On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 07:11:26PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
8 >> What about BK?
9 >> BK works much better than CVS/Subversion for kernels, and don't see
10 >> any
11 >> major reasons not to use it.
14 > The major reason not to use it is that it would rip apart the project.
15 >
16 > A significant number of devs and users would be fairly likely to depart
17 > if we were relying on bitkeeper. The license terms are _highly_
18 > authoritarian and controversial. I refuse to deal with the mess (and
19 > nasty PR) it would leave, personally.
20
21 For instance, if you work for a company that sells products that compete
22 with bitmover ... you must purchase a bk license which is several
23 thousand
24 USD.
25
26 It doesn't matter if you don't personally work on it, it doesn't matter
27 if you
28 in your own time work on open source software. Heck if you work on CVS
29 you can't use bk without buying a license.
30
31 bk is nice in some respects, but personally I think cvs could and should
32 be actively worked on to add function that even subversion and bk
33 doesn't have.
34
35 As an example I think it would be quite handy to have n branches in a
36 cvs
37 tree but allow for "common" changes to pushed across a set of branches
38 all
39 at once in a single commit. Or allow for a patch to start in one
40 branch but
41 then allow a developer to push the patch to other branches but marked
42 as experimental. So a normal cvs co / update of that branch it was
43 pushed
44 to would not get the patch BUT a maintainer / developer type could
45 get a list of these pending 'experimental' patches, selectively apply
46 them
47 and then "promote" them so they are commited to the branch so a
48 cvs co -r thatbranch would then have that "promoted" patch, otherwise
49 to get the experimental pending patches one would have to do something
50 like cvs co -r thatbranch --experimental.
51
52 Call me crazy but I think cvs needs some lovin'.
53
54 Tom Gall
55 gentoo -- God started with stage 1, shouldn't you?
56 tgall aatt uberh4x0r.org
57 tom_gall aatt mac.com
58
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list