From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Brainstorming how to collaboratively work on kernels
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:15:29
1 On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 07:11:26PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:36:39PM -0600, Brian Jackson wrote:
3 > > We can't really subject cvs.gentoo.org to the kind of abuse that 5 kernel
4 > > trees would introduce. Subversion isn't an option (and I'd assume that arch,
5 > > and others isn't either).
6 > What about BK?
7 > BK works much better than CVS/Subversion for kernels, and don't see any
8 > major reasons not to use it.
11 The major reason not to use it is that it would rip apart the project.
12
13 A significant number of devs and users would be fairly likely to depart
14 if we were relying on bitkeeper. The license terms are _highly_
15 authoritarian and controversial. I refuse to deal with the mess (and
16 nasty PR) it would leave, personally.
19 Jon Portnoy
20 avenj/irc.freenode.net
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list