From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Google Apps Standard Edition @ gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:28:27
1 Hello,
4 On 03/31/10 07:28, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > Currently a number of developers have engaged Google Apps Team Edition
6 > for gentoo.org. However Team Edition does not come with gmail and a
7 > subset of Team Edition users would like to host their gentoo.org mail
8 > on gmail.
9 > Activating Standard Edition is free and likely requires minimal
10 > configuration on dev.gentoo.org to setup. Standard Edition comes with
11 > Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Mail, Google Sites, Google Video,
12 > and probably a bunch of other stuff we could turn on.
13
14 I am worried that if people start using say Google Docs for
15 collaborating on Gentoo content, everyone else is forced to use Google
16 Docs to participate.
17
18 While I do appreciate projects like TechTalks and Summer of Code I
19 personally do not trust Google with my data. Also, most of these
20 services are not Free Software -- I don't trust non-free software.
21 If they are let's run our instance, not theirs.
22 if they aren't lets go for something else.
23
24 Btw if we really need a shared web-calendar let's make a project for
25 that and get it done. Ironically, it may even fit for GSOC.
28 > This service would be opt-in (only devs that want an account get one).
29 > Infra should continue to offer standard mail services on
30 > smtp.gentoo.org.
31
32 As mentioned before: Opt-in is an illusion from the point on, where
33 people need the same piece of software to collaborate. May not apply to
34 some (Google Mail) but sure does to others.
37 > This thread is primarily engaged in gauging interest in such a setup.
38 > Please reply if you are interested (or go vote on the bug.)
39
40 To be very clear: Please take my vote against increasing dependencies on
41 Google.
42
43 On a side note: This is not a technical discussion only.
44 As such please use gentoo-core for this next time. Thanks.
48 Sebastian