From: Chris Houser <chouser@g.o>
To: Bjoern Brauel <bjoern@××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] finished stage1 for alpha
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:15:21
1 Bjoern Brauel wrote: [Sat Sep 7 2002, 12:09:29PM EDT]
2 > I just completed a preliminary stage1 tarball for alpha.
3
4 Great work, Bjoern!! I now have gentoo linux booting on a DS-10
5 alpha-ev67 here at work. I had to use a debian tftp boot image to get
6 going, but compiling a new kernel and loading it on the disk with
7 aboot/swriteboot worked great. I'm hoping to work on a gentoo tftp boot
8 image soon, but we'll see. ;-)
9
10 I have had a couple of issues that I've fixed, but haven't had a chance
11 to check back into CVS yet:
12
13 I had to upgrade to fileutils-4.1.11 because I was having trouble
14 downloading the current gentoo version from ibiblio, and the upstream
15 site didn't have the older version anymore. This may have just been a
16 firewall issue on my part.
17
18 I also had to adjust the procps ebuild, because the install failed
19 trying to remove non-existant man files.
22 My currently outstanding issue is regarding XFree86. I tried using
23 xfree-4.2.1.ebuild, even though it's masked, because it's the only xfree
24 ebuild flagged for alpha, and I figured that must be the one you're
25 using. However, when trying to start up xf86cfg, I get tons of these
26 errors as it tries to load each of the video card driver modules:
27
28 Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 17
29 Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 18
30
31 I just noticed this morning that it wasn't working, so I haven't started
32 trying to track down the problem -- just thought I'd mention it.
33
34 Anyway, great work, keep it up!
35
36 --Chouser