From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:25:49
1 On 12/10/19 11:05 AM, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 >
3 > I was more thinking along sys admins being able to modify their acct-
4 > ebuilds with static numbers. If you're bind-mounting already, why not
5 > bind your portage (or local overlay) to children as well. 2 minute more
6 > work for those who need it, but a lot easier to everyone else who don't
7 > care :)
10 For most people, it's more convenient if the users/groups have the same
11 IDs on every system, but they don't actually care what those IDs are.
12 That's why it is the way it is, where developers pick basically any ID,
13 write it down, and hard-code it in the ebuild.
14
15 (Cross-distro compatibility is a stretch, but if we can make it work
16 easily in some cases then I don't see any harm in trying.)
17
18 If you need a specific ID, then by design you can make a new revision of
19 the ebuild in an overlay and tell the eclass to enforce your special ID.
20 But what we don't want is to force *every* user to create his own
21 overlay with *every* acct- ebuild just to get the same IDs on two
22 machines, since that's the sensible thing to do in the first place.
23
24 In any case, the collisions aren't why I supported mailing list review.
25 Users and groups are the most fundamental concept in UNIX security, and
26 the review requirement just reflects my belief that we can take a day or
27 two to make sure that we get them right.