From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:06:35
1 Steve Dibb wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:33:26 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
4 >> | Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
5 >> | > | What on earth are you talking about here? And why almost 6 months
6 >> | > | is not enough for someone to respond on a bug with a simple
7 >> | > | "we'll only support newer versions and don't care about MySQL
8 >> | > | 4.0.x any more, go drop it"?
9 >> | > | > Priorities. The arch teams could be too busy dealing with
10 >> other bugs
11 >> | > that matter more or too busy dealing with noise bugs.
12 >> | | Sorry, taking 1 minute to respond on a bug after being poked for a
13 >> | couple of months is not a matter of priorities, but mere politeness
14 >> | and common sense. Seriously, you can't work productively with other
15 >> | people if they can't be bothered to write one sentence for months.
16 >>
17 >> There are an awful lot of bugs requiring an awful lot of attention...
20 > That does bring up an interesting question though -- at what point do
21 > you just ignore the arch and move on so that development can continue?
22 >
23 > I suppose if you had a nasty security verbump you needed to release, you
24 > could keyword it yourself, but for everything else, what's the best way
25 > to handle those if you are perpetually ignored?
26 >
27 > Steve
28
29 I picked a random e-mail to reply to. I don't maintain that many
30 packages (maybe 10 or so?). But if I have a bug (particularly a sec bug
31 as in this case) and you haven't stablized it after five months then
32 I'll probably just nuke the ebuild and drop your keywords and then
33 change the bug title to "$arch got it's keywords dropped". Now of
34 course I'd probably e-mail your alias a couple of times letting on that
35 this is my evil plan and to please try and get to my bug.
36
37 As an arch team you may not like it; and yeah it kind of sucks. If you
38 want your keyword back there will still be a bug open for it and the
39 arch team can always keyword it themselves.
40
41 You can ask that we make a good faith attempt to not break the arch
42 trees, and I think thats an acceptable request. But eventually I'm
43 going to give up waiting on you.
44 --
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list