From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Decoupling stabilization from security bugs
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 16:50:35
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 01:17:32PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 5:53 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 <snip>
6
7 > To do that, I think we'd want to change what's required for the "clean
8 > up" step. Since today the "clean up" step is dropping the vulnerable
9 > package versions from the tree, it is dependent on
10 > non-security-supported architectures completing the stabilization bug.
11 > I think we'd like to break that dependence.
14 Yes, please. Thank you for bringing this up. This has been a hotly
15 debated item in the past with former security leads dictating that
16 "clean up" is not relevant to the security process, but it remained
17 codified in documentation that it needs to occur.
18
19 It is indeed important, as leaving vulnerable versions is the tree is not
20 good for anyone and impacts many other areas (e.g. promoting tree
21 cleanliness).
22
23 Further, as mgorny mentioned in a follow-up email to this, we need to
24 understand what is a "security supported" architecture. This has also
25 been an issue in the past with council intervention needed to declare
26 dropping specific arches to exp profiles and allowing security to drop
27 support and subsequently move bugs forward.
28
29 And to continue on my soap box, we have a small blurb on the security
30 page [1] which states what architectures are considered security supported.
31 This is less than ideal. We also generally state that stable arches are
32 supported and must be dealt with during the vulnerability process.
33
34 So, all in all, it is highly conflated IMHO and is *not* ideal for
35 anyone to have to determine that a particular arch is stable but not
36 security supported.
37
38 As such, I advocate for any stable arch to be security supported by
39 default. If the arch lags or is dropped then it goes to unstable
40 (process TBD).
43 [1]: https://www.gentoo.org/support/security/vulnerability-treatment-policy.html
44
45 -Aaron