From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Decoupling stabilization from security bugs
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 20:17:53
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 5:53 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, everyone.
4 >
5 > TL;DR: I'd like to propose that stabilizations are done via blockers of
6 > security bugs instead of security bugs themselves, i.e. as any other
7 > stabilizations.
10 > Right now we're often performing security-related stabilizations via
11 > security bugs. This has a few problems, that are:
12 >
13 > 1. Stabilization-related activity causes unnecessary mail to the widely
14 > subscribed security alias. That is, subscribed people get notified of
15 > package list changes, NATTkA results, every arch doing its work.
16 > However, in reality the security team only cares about stabilization
17 > being started, stalled or finished -- and for that, getting the usual
18 > 'dependent bug added/closed' mail should be sufficient.
19 >
20 > 2. NATTkA has no good way of distinguishing irrelevant security bugs
21 > from security bugs where something went wrong (and NATTkA doesn't use
22 > persistent state by design). The most important problem is that --
23 > unlike regular stablereqs -- security bugs aren't supposed to be closed
24 > after stabilization. It can't really distinguish a security bug 'left
25 > open' from a security bug with incorrect package list.
26 >
27 > 3. Proxied maintainers without editbugs can't actually CC arches on
28 > security bugs since the bugs are assigned to security@.
31 > To resolve these problems going forward and establish consistent
32 > behavior in the future, I'd like to propose to disable 'package list'
33 > fields on security bugs and instead expect regular stabilization bugs to
34 > be used (and made block the security bugs) for stabilizations. While I
35 > understand that filing additional bugs might be cumbersome for some
36 > people, I don't think it's such a herculean effort to outweigh
37 > the problems solved.
38 >
39 > In the end, consistency is a good thing and we've introduced a dedicated
40 > stabilization category to reduce the spread of stabilization bugs all
41 > around the place.
42
43 I love this.
44
45 It sounds (from IRC) like you're on board with the idea of having
46 nattka add kw:security to appropriate stabilization bugs.
47
48 Could nattka also do something to the security@-assigned but itself to
49 indicate that all security-supported architecture have been handled?
50 Something like leaving a comment or fiddling with the security
51 whiteboard.
52
53 It would be nice to be able to resolve the security@-assigned but
54 before non-security-supported architectures are handled.
55
56 To do that, I think we'd want to change what's required for the "clean
57 up" step. Since today the "clean up" step is dropping the vulnerable
58 package versions from the tree, it is dependent on
59 non-security-supported architectures completing the stabilization bug.
60 I think we'd like to break that dependence.
61
62 I suggest that we redefine the "clean up" step to be: drop
63 security-supported architectures' keywords from vulnerable versions.
64 That would allow the security@-assigned bug to be resolved before
65 non-security-supported architectures are finished with stabilization.