From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:33:40
1 Hi.
2
3 Wernfried Haas wrote:
4
5 [snip]
6 > Please define access. Does that mean they get to ban people from the
7 > forums and all #gentoo-* channels? Do they get mod/op powers or just
8 > request it from the respective forum moderators / channel operators
9 > (who _have_ to follow their orders)?
12 [snip]
13 > What exactly is Gentoo's official communication infrastructure? The
14 > mailinglists? _All_ IRC channels? So far #gentoo and #gentoo-dev are
15 > the only channels following some official policy, all others are ruled
16 > by whatever project/owner they have (afaik, correct me if
17 > wrong). Would a ban also affect all #gentoo-* channels and the forums?
18 > Posting on planet? What about gentoo developers calling people names
19 > in non-gentoo channels while wearing a gentoo cloak on irc or being
20 > otherwise easily identified as such (e.g. posting flames to debian
21 > mailing lists using @gentoo.org email)?
22 >
23 [snip]
24 > Kind of answers my question, but i'm still asking for confirmation
25 > because i have a hard time believing it. Do the proctors get to
26 > overrule every team that moderates some communication channel already?
27 >
28 [snip]
29 >
30 > Furthermore this raises an important question for me:
31 > So far, the forums moderators (as well as the ops in #gentoo) have
32 > enforced their policies. As long proctors and mods/ops are of the same
33 > opinion about a person, fine - but what about the following
34 > situations:
35 >
36 > - A developer misbehaves on the forums according to the forums staff
37 > and gets banned by them.
38 >
39 > So far, it has been our policy (not written, and hardly used every 2
40 > years) to let devrel know about it in case they wanted to do something
41 > else about it. I guess it would make sense to continue that.
42 > What if the proctors disagree with the ban?
43 >
44 > - The proctors think someone is misbehaving on the forums and want him
45 > banned, while the forums staff think it is not ban worthy. What now
46 [snip]
49 I agree with all of the previous points raised by amne and am very
50 interested on how do you propose the proctors, gentoo IRC channel ops,
51 forum moderators and userrel work together. As it seems the proposal is
52 for these guidelines to uphold in every Gentoo communication channel and
53 project, they will affect the MLs, the IRC channels, the forums and
54 projects like the userreps. I think that the rules need to take into
55 account specifics of each communication channel - as an example I would
56 recall the OTW forum, which is subject to a different set of guidelines
57 in the forums.
58 As amne asked before, will the proctors have overruling power over
59 moderators for existing channels? If so, is the council suggesting that
60 the proctors / devrel / council should "control" the forums moderation
61 team and the IRC channel ops? As amne also asked, do you propose that
62 teams work together or that proctors become forum moderators/admins and
63 channel ops for all official IRC gentoo channels?
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list