From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:27:35
1 [replying here as it already cleared out a couple of things i wanted
2 to ask]
3
4 On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:19:03PM +0000, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
5 > 3. The proctors would be given the access required to execute any
6 > suspensions or similar actions.
7
8 Please define access. Does that mean they get to ban people from the
9 forums and all #gentoo-* channels? Do they get mod/op powers or just
10 request it from the respective forum moderators / channel operators
11 (who _have_ to follow their orders)?
12
13 This is also very unclear in the doc:
14 > Things that could get you banned/suspended from Gentoo's official
15 > communication infrastructure:
16
17 What exactly is Gentoo's official communication infrastructure? The
18 mailinglists? _All_ IRC channels? So far #gentoo and #gentoo-dev are
19 the only channels following some official policy, all others are ruled
20 by whatever project/owner they have (afaik, correct me if
21 wrong). Would a ban also affect all #gentoo-* channels and the forums?
22 Posting on planet? What about gentoo developers calling people names
23 in non-gentoo channels while wearing a gentoo cloak on irc or being
24 otherwise easily identified as such (e.g. posting flames to debian
25 mailing lists using @gentoo.org email)?
26
27 > 4. By Gentoo fora/Official Communication Channels we refer to all
28 > official channels of communication; MLs, IRC, Forums, IM, Bugzilla etc.
29
30 Kind of answers my question, but i'm still asking for confirmation
31 because i have a hard time believing it. Do the proctors get to
32 overrule every team that moderates some communication channel already?
33
34 > (This does NOT mean we are replacing guidelines for sub-fora -- the CoC
35 > would be in addition to IRC and Forum guidelines).
36
37 This should be added to the doc - as far i understand it defines
38 minimum standards, and there are additional rules for certain irc
39 channels and the forums (probably best to link them in the guide).
40
41 Furthermore this raises an important question for me:
42 So far, the forums moderators (as well as the ops in #gentoo) have
43 enforced their policies. As long proctors and mods/ops are of the same
44 opinion about a person, fine - but what about the following
45 situations:
46
47 - A developer misbehaves on the forums according to the forums staff
48 and gets banned by them.
49
50 So far, it has been our policy (not written, and hardly used every 2
51 years) to let devrel know about it in case they wanted to do something
52 else about it. I guess it would make sense to continue that.
53 What if the proctors disagree with the ban?
54
55 - The proctors think someone is misbehaving on the forums and want him
56 banned, while the forums staff think it is not ban worthy. What now?
57
58 > I also understand that the timeframe for
59 > peer-review is shorter than what you have all expected (and wished for),
60 > and I fully understand the annoyance in regards to this. It's shorter
61 > than what we had originally aimed for.
62
63 I seriously hope the council doesn't do a final vote on something
64 where a lot of details are yet unclear and undefined, otherwise i'll
65 vote the bums out. [1]
66 Don't get me wrong, it's about time to do something, but rushing
67 through something completely new probably will only make things worse.
68
69 cheers,
70 Wernfried
71
72 [1] before anyone goes proctor on me, read
73 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0039.html :-P
76 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
77 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
78 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org