From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Subslots: should they be bumped like SONAME or on any ABI changes?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:42:04
1 On Saturday 14 June 2014 11:50:29 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2014-06-14 at 16:13 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 16:41:51 +0200
4 > >
5 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > However, this means that we force much more rebuilds than necessary.
7 > >
8 > > This shouldn't be considered to be a problem.
9 >
10 > This would be suicide for Gentoo as a distro. Organizations that have a
11 > dedicated build server and a standardized /etc/portage config tree
12 > pushed to all user machines could rebuild half of @world once a week.
13 > Individual users running Gentoo on a single workstation or server can't
14 > and won't.
15
16 Well, you have to rebuild half of everything anyway. (And if you don't want to
17 do that - update less often)
18
19 Last updates on my notebook had on average half a dozen packages needing to be
20 rebuilt due to preserved-libs.
21
22 How is that better than automated rebuilds that actually reduce the
23 interaction I have with that machine?
26 I'd strongly prefer a coherent policy for this whole library versioning
27 situation, maybe per-library (so instead of forcing everything to use subslots
28 we say "all consumers of this lib have to, and ignore others for now)