From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Changes to the way Java packages are built
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:19:38
1 Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o> posted 4495917D.8000206@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:46:37 -0500:
3
4 > That being said... one of our users has been working on using GCJ to
5 > this end:
6 >
7 > https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki/GCJ_as_a_JDK
8
9 Thanks.
10
11 > As for why this hasn't been done already or more work isn't being done,
12 > I believe there are two reasons:
13 >
14 > 1) We don't have the same restriction as Fedora and Debian do with
15 > regard to licensing. If we did, then we'd have a more pressing need to
16 > use 'free' Java implementations to even distribute Java stuff.
17 >
18 > 2) No one has stepped up with the desire / motivation / skills to make
19 > it happen. Not only that, but the Java team in generally has been
20 > understaffed for some time now.
21
22 Understood. As I said, no pressure from me to do it if it's not being
23 done already. I just wondered what the status and chances were, thinking
24 if I was lucky a freedomware config might be one of the choices, and this
25 answers that to my satisfaction.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list