From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:24:24
1 Hi Chris,
2 on Friday, 2006-07-28 at 09:41:09, you wrote:
3 > Well, we would hope that people using the package would file a bug, but
4 > this obviously doesn't always happen.
5
6 Even if it happens that doesn't mean anything is gonna change :)
7 I'd like to get involved and help out with stuff like this but frankly I
8 don't know where to start ATM.
9 The thing is, I maintain net-misc/hsc, upstream that is. The latest
10 stable version in portage is two years old, the unstable one is almost
11 1yo and buggy. Now there's been a fix for about 5 months now, even comes
12 with an ebuild, maybe not a very good one but it works on various platforms.
13 I notified the developer that made the last ChangeLog entry in March,
14 and again in June, copied to some others devs from the log when there was
15 no reply, opened a bug (#140242) some two weeks ago---still nothing.
16 Seems I'm not following some arcane protocol. I mean, I'd be fine with
17 any comment.
18 "Your ebuild sucks, read $DOC and fix it"---Cool.
19 "We don't have time for the three-and-a-half users of this package, just
20 submit it for an overlay at $FOO"---Fine, I know what to do.
21 "Mail $DEV and see to it that you get dev status yourself"---OK.
22
23 Hum. Well, I've been subscribed here for a while to get a feeling for
24 the dev process, and this seemed like a good opportunity. Maybe someone
25 else can tell me where to start?
26
27 cheers!
28 Matthias
29 --
30 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
31 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665