From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 23:57:05
1 Le mercredi 12 février 2014 à 17:46 -0500, Chris Reffett a écrit :
2 > splits it into two
3 > separate packages, and I suspect that the times where you will have to
4 > rebuild are when a package needs webkit-gtk to support another toolkit
5 > (which should happen only once), and when you upgrade (in which case
6 > you would be updating them separately anyway). I also fail to see what
7 > this has to do with binpkgs: if something needs webkit-gtk[gtk2], you
8 > add a dep on webkit-gtk[gtk2]. The user adds USE=gtk2 to webkit-gtk if
9 > needed, webkit-gtk binpkg gets rebuilt. I see no breakage there
10
11 Actually changing a USE flag on a package such as webkit-gtk has a huge
12 cost.
13
14 If say you build with USE=gtk3 then suddenly need gtk2, you not only
15 build what you need, you will also have to rebuild gtk3 support which
16 you already have though. Since this takes a decent amount of time, even
17 on a one year old i7, I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure users
18 will start to complain about this as well.
19
20 You would have to build, webkit1 for gtk2, webkit1 for gtk3 and webkit2
21 for gtk3.
22
23 The story is the same for almost all libs that support both toolkits,
24 you end up rebuilding everything even if you already have one.
25 webkit-gtk is just the best example to prove you this is a bad idea.
28 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
29 Gentoo