From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:47:05
1 On 2/12/2014 3:09 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-02-11, o godz. 19:33:06 Chris Reffett
3 > <creffett@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
6 >>
7 >> On 02/11/2014 06:13 PM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
8 >>>> Unfortunately, the concurrent nature of gtk2/gtk3 has
9 >>>> resulted in packages that may support either or both the
10 >>>> toolkits. To handle this, a few developers have introduced
11 >>>> the "gtk3" useflag, that prefers gtk3 over gtk2 when both
12 >>>> toolkit versions are supported. At this point, the Gnome
13 >>>> team highly recommends prefering gtk3 if possible, skipping
14 >>>> the useflag altogether. [1]
15 >>>
16 >>> Wrong, as is written in policy whether to prefer gtk2 or 3 is
17 >>> up to the maintainer of the package. We point people to the
18 >>> fact that upstream says gtk2 is a dead end and support will
19 >>> stop (if not in fact already stopped) in the near future.
20 >>>
21 >>> We also recommend to have maintainers support slots for their
22 >>> libs where possible considering man-power and to only choose
23 >>> one toolkit for applications considering where upstream
24 >>> development is going and maturity of the port, and again, this
25 >>> is up to package maintainers.
26 >> This doesn't make sense to me at all. I can't see why slotted
27 >> libraries can't just use USE flags to specify what toolkit
28 >> they're built against, just like any other package in the tree
29 >> (so, for example, a package that needs webkit-gtk built against
30 >> gtk3 would depend on webkit-gtk[gtk3] instead of webkit-gtk:3).
31 >> I'm well aware that there could be limitations I'm unaware of
32 >> (maybe the package only can build one at a time?), but this is
33 >> how it looks to me. By switching to versioned gtk flags, this
34 >> kills two birds with one stone: it makes it obvious to the end
35 >> user which version they're trying to build their package
36 >> against, and it gets rid of the need for (ab)using revision
37 >> numbers to implement slots like that.
38 >
39 > Except when you end up rebuilding the huge thing twice. Or trying
40 > to live with binpackages -- the thing that most Gentoo developers
41 > don't care about at all. They just love their precious USE flags
42 > so much they'd shove them everywhere for the sake of it.
45 You'll have to build it twice anyway, this just splits it into two
46 separate packages, and I suspect that the times where you will have to
47 rebuild are when a package needs webkit-gtk to support another toolkit
48 (which should happen only once), and when you upgrade (in which case
49 you would be updating them separately anyway). I also fail to see what
50 this has to do with binpkgs: if something needs webkit-gtk[gtk2], you
51 add a dep on webkit-gtk[gtk2]. The user adds USE=gtk2 to webkit-gtk if
52 needed, webkit-gtk binpkg gets rebuilt. I see no breakage there.
53
54 Chris Reffett