From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cvs.gentoo.org hard drive failure
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:35:04
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 >
3 > Important information:
4 > ======================
5 >
6 > At about 10:00 AM this morning, I walked into my home office and noticed that
7 > cvs.gentoo.org's hard drive light was stuck on. Turning on the monitor, I
8 > found a number of IDE drive error kernel messages on the screen. I quickly
9 > rebooted the server, and found that the hard drive (a quite new IBM 45Gb
10 > Ultra/100 drive) was making a weird chirping sound and was unable to spin up...
11 > the system wouldn't recognize the drive, it was dead.
12 >
13 > So, it's 11:51 AM now, and the system has been restored onto another IBM 30Gb
14 > Ultra/100 drive. *Fortunately for everone*, I performed a full system backup
15 > to tape about a day ago. Ironically, I'm in the process of writing a backup
16 > tutorial for IBM developerWorks :/
17 >
18 > Here's what we lost:
19 > ====================
20 >
21 > About a day's worth of received mail
22 >
23 > About a day's worth of cvs commits (Achim, could you "cvs commit" from your
24 > mirror so we can get most of these lost changes back?)
25
26 Hmm the mirror runns "cvs update -d" every hour. I tried to commit but
27 only a few missing digest where commited.
28 Fortunately I did not on gentoo this weekend.
31 > About 1500 words from my backup tutorial :/
32
33 But one new chapter for free. :-)
36 > About 3 hours of excellent work on the new Portage system (a bummer, but
37 > easily re-do-able)
38 >
39 > Basically, any files or emails or anything created in the last day have been
40 > lost. No incoming mail when the server was dead was lost, since we have a
41 > backup MX record and account at my ISP.
42 >
43 > Here's what you need to know:
44 > =============================
45 >
46 > When I restored everything this morning, I think I had some kind of umask
47 > problem so that some file permissions are incorrect. You may want to check
48 > your files to make sure that they have the right perms. Ownership should
49 > be correct. I had to fix up mailman so that our mailing list would again
50 > work correctly.
51 >
52 > All in all, we were incredibly fortunate that it wasn't worse!!!!!!
53 > Have you ever noticed that all system crashes happen on Sunday morning?
54
55 I did not notice any problems. :-)
56
57 achim~